Monday, December 3, 2007

The Charleston City Paper

I'll Be Sober In the Morning, touts a collection of great political comebacks, putdowns and ripostes. Here are a few zingers:
• When Rev. Edward Everett Hale was chaplain of the U.S. Senate, he was asked if he prayed for the Senators. "No," he said. "I look at the Senators and pray for the country."
• When a TV reporter was interviewing New York Mayor Ed Koch, he pressed the mayor on an issue. Koch, clearly frustrated, leaned closer to the reporter and said, "I can explain this to you; I can't comprehend it for you."
• During a television debate against Sen. Fritz Hollings in 1986, Republican Henry McMaster challenged his opponent to take a drug test. "I'll take a drug test," Hollings said, "if you'll take an IQ test."
• After Press Secretary Bill Moyers delivered grace over dinner, President Lyndon Johnson complained to Moyers that he couldn't hear him. "Mr. President," replied Moyers, "I wasn't speaking to you."
I'll Be Sober is edited by College of Charleston professor Chris Lamb, illustrated by City Paper cartoonist Steve Steglin, and published by columnist Will Moredock from Frontline Press. —Greg Hambrick

No comments: